The post from Anne Wojcicki to the 23andMe community reads:
Dear 23andMe Community,
Effective by the end of day this Thursday, we are eliminating subscriptions and will have a single $299 price. We listened to your feedback and now understand that subscriptions were not good for you and thus, not good for 23andMe. We want you as our partner in this genetic journey. Together we will learn about ourselves and make discoveries that will hopefully benefit all of mankind. We thank you for your feedback, your advice and your suggestions. As partners in this journey, we thank you for your trust.
Here are some additional details:
- We will discontinue billing customers who have fulfilled their subscription commitment.
- Customers who have yet to complete their subscription commitment will continue to be billed each month until their initial contract commitment has been met. Once this commitment is met, no further subscription will be charged and you can enjoy your Personal Genome Service® on an ongoing basis.
- Customers will continue to enjoy access to all of 23andMe’s current features. In the future, 23andMe may launch premium, additive features. We want to emphasize that existing customers will not lose any product functionality with the new pricing structure.
- 23andMe does not have any immediate plans to introduce new premium fee-based features, but we expect to do so in the future.
- Through the end of May, customers interested in upgrading from v2 to v3 can do so for $199. After that it will be $249.
To upgrade, visit this page: https://www.23andme.com/user/u
Customers impacted by these changes will be receiving emails directly from us with additional information within the next week.
If you have any questions, contact our Customer Care team: https://customercare.23andme.c
So, if you are one of the minority who prefer the subscription model and/or only have $99 and have been waiting to buy, now (until "end of day" Thursday PST) is the time to order! ($207 total now versus $299)